Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott is recovering well from ankle surgery after suffering a compound fracture during Week 5 of the 2020 NFL season, and all signs point to him being ready for Week 1 of the 2021 campaign.
The 27-year-old recently told ESPN’s Sage Steele that he thinks he could play in a game right now and have no issues, per Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer:
Prescott underwent surgery in October and reportedly had a second procedure about two months later, according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport. The second surgery helped strengthen his deltoid ligament, clean out the ankle and make it more structurally sound.
Prescott’s comments come after Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy told the media earlier this week that the quarterback should be cleared to start training camp with the rest of the team. The Cowboys are set to begin OTA workouts on Monday, and McCarthy added that he sees Prescott “doing most of the work.”
Prescott’s injury caused concern that he wouldn’t be locked up to a long-term deal, but the Cowboys handed him a four-year, $160 million contract, making him the fourth-highest-paid athlete in the world, according to Forbes (via NBC Dallas-Fort Worth).
The two-time Pro Bowler has reiterated that he’s ahead of schedule in his recovery, which is a good sign. However, he’ll face challenging competition when he returns to the field in Week 1 against Tom Brady and the Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers.