Trump “has not experienced nor been evaluated for” any strokes, mini-strokes or cardiovascular emergencies, Trump’s physician Dr. Sean Conley said in a statement distributed by the White House.
“The President remains healthy and I have no concerns about his ability to maintain the rigorous schedule ahead of him,” Conley said, adding the statement came at the request of Trump. “As stated in my last report, I expect him to remain fit to execute the duties of the Presidency.”
Earlier on Tuesday, Trump railed against those who have questioned his health, with an unprompted reference to a “series of mini-strokes.”
Trump then seemed to use his trip to Walter Reed, where Joe Biden’s son Beau died from brain cancer, as a way to question the Democratic presumptive nominee’s health, adding, “Perhaps they are referring to another candidate from another Party!”
The specific assertion that Trump had “mini-strokes” has not been verified or independently reported by reputable news outlets.
Trump’s visit to Walter Reed last year did not follow the protocol of a routine presidential medical exam, a person familiar with the matter told CNN at the time. Typically, Walter Reed’s medical staff would get a general notice about a “VIP” visit to the medical center ahead of a presidential arrival, notifying them of certain closures at the facility.
Medical staff at Walter Reed did not get a staff-wide notice ahead of Trump’s arrival, per that source, indicating the visit was a non-routine visit and scheduled at the last minute.
CNN’s Paul LeBlanc, Kevin Liptak and Jeremy Diamond contributed to this report.