In an advertisement that appeared in major newspapers on Saturday, the telecommunications giant said it was “deeply sorry” the cyber attack had happened on its watch.
The 10,000 people already confirmed as having their data exposed will be prioritised by a new AFP task force, Operation Guardian, established to shore up their security and prevent them from becoming victims of financial fraud.
Optus has taken out full-page ads in Australian newspapers to apologise for the massive data breach. Source: Supplied
Optus also revealed this week 14,900 valid Medicare ID numbers had been exposed in the hack, along with 22,0000 expired numbers out of the 9.8 million customer records stolen.
In its ad, Optus said its priority was preventing harm to customers and it was assisting those affected.
He described the measure as “entirely appropriate”, saying taxpayers shouldn’t have to pay the $193 to replace each compromised document.
Mr Albanese has also confirmed the government is reviewing the Privacy Act with a view to updating the laws by the end of the year.