The Star-Tribune also reported prosecutors intend to charge Chauvin in connection to the violent arrest of a 14-year-old boy in 2017.
In that case, Chauvin and a partner officer responded to a domestic assault call. In the process of attempting to arrest a 14-year-old, Chauvin hit the teen with a flashlight multiple times before applying a neck restraint with his knee until the 14-year-old lost consciousness, according to court documents filed by state prosecutors.
According to those same documents, “The child began repeatedly telling the officers that he could not breathe, and his mother told Chauvin to take his knee off her son.”
The DOJ declined to comment on the local reports when contacted by CNN. CNN reached out to attorneys for all four officers. Only the attorney for Keung responded, and the attorney declined to discuss the reports.
Floyd’s death on May 25, 2020 sparked protests nationwide against police brutality and racial injustice.
Lane, Kueng and Thao face a state trial in August, charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter in George Floyd’s death. They have pleaded not guilty.
CNN had previously reported the DOJ was investigating Floyd’s death. During Chauvin’s trial, the Hennepin County medical examiner testified he had also testified before a federal grand jury in February and had previously been interviewed by representatives of the US Attorney’s office.
The investigation will be handled by the Justice Department’s civil rights division and the US Attorney’s Office for the District of Minneosta and will assess whether the department uses excessive force, including during protests, or engages in “discriminatory conduct,” and if “its treatment of those with behavioral health disabilities is unlawful,” Garland said.
CNN’s Aaron Cooper, Christina Carrega, Veronica Stracqualursi, Eric Levenson and Amir Vera contributed to this report.Source link