People are using their grills, cars and generators to heat their homes — and carbon monoxide poisonings are spiking because of it.
Hidalgo called the poisonings a “disaster within a disaster,” adding that the numbers coming out of Harris County are “just the tip of the iceberg.”
Doctors call it a public health emergency
Since Monday, the Memorial Hermann Health System in Houston has seen over 100 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning, a spokesperson told CNN.
“We do see some cases of carbon monoxide poisoning when we have cold weather,” the spokesperson said. “But we do not typically see this many patients in such a short period of time.
Given the influx of patients, doctors at the hospital have deemed the situation a “very serious public health emergency.”
How to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning
Most of the poisonings are being attributed to the use of outdoor appliances inside.
The Memorial Hermann Health System said that at this time, patient care has not been impacted by the spike in poisonings. The system will continue to monitor the situation closely.