Operations at three resorts from MGM Resorts International on the Las Vegas Strip reopen for 24 hour a day operations starting on Wednesday, March 3.
Mandalay Bay, Park MGM, and the Mirage return to business as usual. MGM Resorts reports that the company decided to fully reopen the three resorts with increased interest in travel to Las Vegas. Previously, each property had implemented selective mid-week closures related to decreased business volumes due to COVID-19.
“As we begin to see positive signs around the public’s sentiment about traveling, coupled with important progress on the vaccination front and decreasing COVID-19 case numbers, bringing Mandalay Bay, Park MGM, and the Mirage back to full-week operations is an important step for us,” Bill Hornbuckle, MGM Resorts CEO and president, says in a press statement. “We remain optimistic about Las Vegas’ recovery and our ability to bring employees back to work as business volumes allow us to do so.”
The Mirage and Mandalay Bay closed for mid-week hotel stays in late November, while the Park MGM did the same earlier in November. Some restaurants and bars remained open while the hotels closed during the week.
The moves come after the state allowed businesses including casinos and resorts to increase their capacity to 35 percent on February 15. Gov. Steve Sisolak lifted his pause on reopening the state, ending nearly three months of 25 percent capacity limitations to slow the spread of COVID-19. In addition Sisolak says that if the state’s COVID-19 infections continue to decline and hospitals maintain capacity to handle cases, casinos can expand capacity to 50 percent on March 15. As long as COVID-19 numbers remain low, he says he will turn over authority to expand openings to counties on May 1.