Actor George Clooney’s Casamigos tequila, founded in 2013, may be the best known of the celebrity tequilas, thanks in part to the brand’s $1 billion sale to Diageo in 2017. Singer Carlos Santana has been involved with the Casa Noble brand since 2011, while comedian and actor Cheech Marin has been the brand ambassador for the premium mezcal Tres Papalote for five years.
Sammy Hagar, the former Van Halen vocalist, was early to the game when he founded the Cabo Wabo Tequila in 1996; the brand was later sold to Campari. Hagar most recently teamed up with chef Guy Fieri on Santa Fino Blanco tequila in April 2019, which followed Hagar’s Santo Puro Mezquila blend of tequila and mezcal.
Country music star Thomas Rhett launched Dos Primos tequila this past January. And model Kendall Jenner, of Kardashian family fame, made some waves in February when she announced her 818 Tequila venture.
Here’s a look at just a few of the other recent celebrity/tequila matchups.
• British singer Rita Ora teamed up with Conecuh Brands to launch Próspero tequila in April 2020.
• Actor/former wrestler Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (shown above) unveiled Teremana tequila in March 2020.
• Former basketball star Michael Jordan partnered with Jeanie Buss of the Los Angeles Lakers, Wes Edens of the Milwaukee Bucks and Emilia Fazzalari and Wyc Grousbeck of the Boston Celtics to develop the Cincoro tequila brand, which launched in September 2019.
• Singer-songwriter Nick Jonas and designer John Varvatos released Villa One tequila in August 2019.
• Breaking Bad series actors Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul launched Dos Hombres mezcal in July 2019.
• Sex and the City star Chris Noth, co-owner of The Cutting Room club in New York, purchased a majority stake in Ambhar tequila in August 2018.