A Tacoma bed cover with a hard surface is a useful accessory that can help you keep the cargo in your Toyota Tacoma secure and safe. This type of truck bed cover comes in a variety of designs, sizes, and materials to meet the needs and preferences of different Tacoma owners. Also, it can be easily installed and removed, making it truly convenient to use.
What Is a Hard Bed Cover for a Toyota Tacoma?
Also known as a Tacoma hard tonneau cover, a Tacoma hard bed cover is a one-piece or foldable hard cover that’s specially designed to perfectly fit the bed of a Toyota Tacoma. Usually made of fiberglass, aluminum, or ABS plastic, this type of cover can be seamlessly installed over your truck bed to provide protection for your cargo. The following are some of the benefits of a hard Tacoma bed cover:
- Protects your truck bed from the elements: Harsh sunlight, rain, snow, and wind can cause damage to your truck bed and its contents. A properly fitting hard Tacoma bed cover keeps the elements at bay and your cargo and truck in good condition.
- Keeps your cargo in place: When your truck is loaded, some of the objects in the bed may fall out when you’re driving at a high speed or over uneven terrain. Also, strong winds can cause lighter items to fly out of your truck. Installing a hard bed cover is an effective way to ensure your cargo stays secure in all kinds of situations.
- Prevents theft: If you don’t have a bed cover, potential thieves will be able to see what’s in the back of your truck. They can easily steal a valuable item or two if you leave your truck unattended. A Tacoma hard bed cover not only wards off attention, but it also makes it difficult for unauthorized people to gain access to your cargo. For the purpose of preventing theft, a hard bed cover is a better option than a soft one simply because it’s harder to break.
- Better fuel economy: Your Tacoma truck may not be built to maximize fuel economy, but you can make it more efficient by investing in a Tacoma bed cover with a hard surface. When you’re driving, air rolls over the windshield and roof of your truck and drops down into the bed where it hits the tailgate, resulting in increased air drag. A hard bed cover creates a seamless surface that keeps wind resistance to a minimum and makes your truck more fuel-efficient.
Types of Toyota Tacoma Hard Bed Covers
If you want to buy a hard Tacoma bed cover, you have several different designs to choose from. Knowing your options can help you pick a bed cover that perfectly fits your needs. Below are the most common types of Tacoma hard bed covers:
- Roll-up bed cover: A roll-up bed cover can be rolled up like a mat to provide easy access to your cargo.
- Retractable bed cover: This type of truck bed cover retracts into itself and toward the cab of your truck. It can be hard or soft.
- Folding bed cover: A folding bed cover usually comes in a bi-fold or tri-fold design, but it may also have more than three foldable sections.
- Hinged bed cover: A hinged bed cover is a solid, one-piece cover supported on hinges. It’s a simple cover that you can open by pushing it up.
- Tool-box bed cover: As its name suggests, a tool-box bed cover comes with an integrated box for storing your tools.
- Electric bed cover: For maximum convenience, opt for an electric bed cover. This kind of cover uses electric power to operate and comes with a key fob that allows you to open or close it remotely.
How To Choose a Hard Bed Cover for Your Toyota Tacoma
When you’re choosing a hard Tacoma bed cover, you have to take your needs and environment into consideration. It’s essential to select a bed cover that has a strong weatherproof seal if you reside in an area that gets a lot of rain or snow. If you need easy access to your cargo, you should get a retractable, folding, or electric cover. Concerned about theft? Opt for a hard bed cover that’s made of a tough material, such as aluminum or ABS plastic, and comes with a locking mechanism.
Additionally, the Tacoma bed cover you choose should be compatible with your existing truck bed accessories. For example, you may have trouble accessing your tie-down anchor points if you install a bed cover that sits over them. In this case, you probably need to get a low-profile cover. Before you buy any particular truck bed cover, make sure you check the installation and maintenance requirements.
How To Replace or Install a Hard Bed Cover on a Toyota Tacoma
Disclaimer: The guidelines in this story are general and not meant to replace instructions for your specific vehicle. Please consult your owner’s manual or repair guide before attempting repairs.
A hard Tacoma bed cover may be a lot heavier than a soft cover, so it’s usually more difficult to install. It’s recommended that you ask a family member or friend to help you with this. Truck bed installation is divided into the two following parts:
Cover Rails Installation
- Make sure the bed cover is compatible with other parts of your truck bed, such as bed liners and bed rail caps. You may have to cut the bed liners if they come in the way during installation.
- Open the tailgate for easier installation.
- Loosely adjust the side rail of the bed cover on the rail bed.
- With the help of your assistant, hold the side rail and use a toothed clamp to clamp it right next to the cab.
- Place other clamps along the side rail and make sure they’re evenly spaced.
- Repeat the process with the other side rail.
- Tighten all the clamps fully.
- If you have a weatherproof truck bed cover, you need to install the rubber seal first.
- Place the cover on the rails, starting from the cab area.
- Then, close the tailgate and bolt the cover into the rails.
- Finally, tighten the clamps again.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io