The General car insurance has headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee, and is a company supplying car insurance for high-risk drivers. Drivers with moving violations, accidents, or driving under the influence are good matches for The General. Drivers who have difficulty getting insured by other auto insurance companies should consider this company for their insurance.
What is Rating for The General?
According to NerdWallet, The General earned 3.5 stars out of 5 for its performance.
What Does The General Insurance Give You?
The General car insurance includes the minimum of car insurance. Many states only have requirements for liability insurance. Some states require more coverage, such as protection against personal injury liability and uninsured motorist insurance. Research your state insurance requirements before buying from The General.
The General and SR-22 Documents
The General provides what insurers call SR-22 documents. The SR-22 policies are for giving you enough car insurance if you have lost access to standard car insurance. Court orders or states might require you to have an SR-22 if you have a DUI conviction, driving without insurance, or license revocation of license suspension. An SR-22 is the last resort for driving insurance coverage if you have problems related to DUI or other driving related issues.
The General Discounts
The General car insurance reductions are different in each state. Some discounts are for military personnel, but only in Louisiana, where military personnel can get discounts if they have maintained auto insurance for the past six months with another company and then transferred that insurance to The General. Homeowners can get discounts if they own their own homes. Other discounts that The General offers include:
- Good student discounts: Good student discounts are available for those students if they are in the upper 20% of their class with a B grade average or better, have a 3.0-grade point average or better, or on the Dean’s List or the Honor Roll.
- Driver training discounts: There are several driver training discounts and safety features discounts such as discounts for those who have passed an accident prevention course save on insurance. Drivers can get discounts for vehicles with safety features such as anti-lock brakes, anti-theft features, airbags, or passive restraints. There is also a safe driving discount for those with clean driving records.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts: This is intended for drivers who want to insure multiple vehicles. This provides a discount on the premium.
- Pay-in-Full Discount: This is intended for customers who pay for the policy in full.
Does The General Have Complaints Against It?
Relative to its size, The General had more than expected complaints from customers, according to the Better Business Bureau.
The General Website
The General’s website at https://www.thegeneral.com/ offers information about minimum state requirements. It also has an FAQ page and a live chat. The site has a Manage MyPolicy platform that allows customers to:
- Pay for policies
- Get auto insurance ID cards or replacements
- Make changes to their policies
- View policy information such as the policy type
The General Insurance App
The General policy mobile app has similar features to the MyPolicy platform with on-demand phone support, filing claims through the app, and locations to pay in cash.
What Are The General Insurance Benefits?
The General car insurance has several benefits. The company offers insurance to high-risk drivers who have trouble getting auto insurance elsewhere. Another benefit is the company can file SR-22 forms for drivers who need these forms. An SR-22 form is an insurance substitute many states mandate if a driver has lost insurance.
What Are the Downsides to The General Insurance?
The downsides to choosing The General are:
- The company has more consumer complaints than other companies of its size.
- The company offers few discounts and policy options.
- Drivers who are not “high risk” could have better experiences with other auto insurance carriers.
Who Would Benefit from The General Insurance?
Drivers who would benefit from choosing The General are high-risk drivers who have a hard time getting insurance. For example, a driver with a history of car accidents or with other insurance issues such as DUI would benefit from choosing The General. Drivers who aren’t high risk will find The General to have mediocre insurance rates and average customer service. Lower rates, higher discounts, and better service are available through other companies.
The General Optional Insurance Coverage
The General offers several optional coverages for various extra fees. These include:
- Rental Reimbursement: Rental reimbursement reimburses you for renting a vehicle if your car is in a covered accident. Coverage starts at $20 per day for a maximum of 30 days. You must have comprehensive and collision coverage if you want rental reimbursement.
- Deductible Waiver: The deductible waiver is coverage to file a claim without paying a deductible for repairs to safety equipment. This currently applies to windshields and door and window glass.
- Custom Equipment: This pays for damage to aftermarket parts added to your cars such as fog lights, bed liners, and camper shells. Drivers with this equipment policy can add up to $5,000 of additional coverage.
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance: The option covers roadside services such as tire changes, battery replenishment, fluid delivery such as gas and oil, or towing. Towing services have maximum benefits of 15 miles or $50, whichever is first. For roadside assistance, customers can dial 1-800-338-2680.
What Are The General Coverage Insurance Options?
Typical options from The General are comprehensive, collision, liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage, and medical payments coverage. Options cost extra in addition to standard insurance coverage.
Is The General A Good Company for Car Insurance?
Specifically, The General is a good auto insurance agency, according to Consumer Affairs. The General sells auto insurance from other companies. Some companies The General sells are The General Automobile Insurance Company, Inc., the Permanent General Assurance Corporation, and the Permanent General Assurance Corporation of Ohio.
Does The General Have Other Insurance Policies?
The General sells only auto insurance, not other insurance types such as home insurance.
Check this out if you need additional information, resources, or guidance on car insurance.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io