Queensland has reported no new local cases of COVID-19, with Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk welcoming the good news on Sunday.
“Well done Queensland. That is absolutely the perfect way to start a Sunday,” she told reporters. “So that is great news.”
But she said the state was not necessarily out of the woods, and said she expected more cases coming out of the Indooroopilly cluster.
The cluster was the source of six new locally acquired cases on Saturday, including a one-year-old infant.
None were infectious in the community.
Premier Palaszczuk said extra police had been deployed to the NSW border after a statewide lockdown was announced on Saturday.
“We worked very hard yesterday late afternoon into the evening to get extra police presence down there,” she said.
“Now, because all of New South Wales is in a lockdown position, there should be very minimal movement over that border. And that extra police presence will ensure we do everything we can to keep Queenslanders safe.
“This is probably the tightest our border controls we have put in place, they are going to be very strict, we will be checking people, and of course there is very minimal reason for that movement and we will be checking freight as well.
Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said Saturday’s infant case, who was in hospital in a stable condition on Saturday, was the youngest in the current cluster, showed how easily the Delta variant infected children.
Deputy Chief Health Officer James Smith said he hopes children under 12 will become eligible for the vaccine soon.
“There has been a significant proportion of children in this particular incident, as there has been around the world,” he said.
“It would be wonderful to see children vaccinated and I hope that will come soon.”
One case was recorded in hotel quarantine on Sunday.