New South Wales has reported a record 239 local cases of coronavirus and two new deaths, with Premier Gladys Berejiklian warning things are “likely to get worse before they get better”.
Restrictions have also been tightened in the eight virus-hit Sydney districts of concern to the state government.
Of the new cases, 113 are linked to a known case or cluster, 88 are household contacts and 25 are close contacts. The source of infection for 126 cases is under investigation.
Eighty-one cases were in isolation throughout their infectious period and 22 were in isolation for part of their infectious period. Sixty-six cases were infectious in the community, and the isolation status of 70 cases remains under investigation.
The new cases – NSW’s highest daily tally since the start of the pandemic – came from 110,962 tests.
“We can only assume that things are likely to get worse before they get better given the quantum of people infectious in the community,” Ms Berejiklian told reporters on Thursday.
NSW Health said on Thursday it had been notified a woman in her 90s from southwest Sydney died on Wednesday morning at Liverpool Hospital. A man in his 80s from southwest Sydney also died on Wednesday afternoon at Royal North Shore Hospital.
These are the 12th and 13th COVID-19 related deaths during the current outbreak.
“At this level of cases, we are going to continue to see further deaths,” Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant told reporters.
Ms Berejiklian on Thursday also announced residents of the eight LGAs of concern – Blacktown, Campbelltown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland, Fairfield, Georges River, Liverpool and Parramatta – must now wear a mask at all times outside their home.
Residents must also stay within a 5km radius of their home.
Fines for not wearing a mask across NSW have also increased from $200 to $500. Police can also close businesses that repeatedly flout the rules.
Of the 239 locally acquired cases reported to 8pm Wednesday, 104 are from southwestern Sydney, 58 are from Western Sydney, 51 are from central Sydney, 14 are from southeastern Sydney and five are from the Nepean Blue Mountains.
‘Not only an old person’s disease’
There are currently 182 COVID-19 cases in hospital, with 54 people in intensive care. Twenty-two require ventilation.
“Many of the cases are young,” Dr Chant said, with two people in their teens, eight in their 20s, four in their 30s and three in their 40s.
“It’s not only an old person’s disease. So everyone should discuss vaccination. My message is get vaccinated.”
Dr Chant said many elderly people in the community remained unprotected.
Twenty-five per cent of Australians over 70 are yet to receive their first dose of a vaccine, according to Commonwealth data.
NSW Health administered 24,706 COVID-19 vaccines in the 24 hours to 8pm Wednesdy, including 7,756 at the vaccination centre at Sydney Olympic Park.
The news comes a day after the state introduced a raft of new rules and confirmed the lockdown for Greater Sydney – including the Central Coast, the Blue Mountains, Wollongong and Shellharbour – will remain in place until 28 August.