Australia

New South Wales records 239 new local coronavirus cases and two deaths

NSW has recorded 239 new local cases of coronavirus and two deaths, with Premier Gladys Berejiklian warning things are “likely to get worse before they get better”.

Of the new cases, 113 are linked to a known case or cluster, 88 are household contacts and 25 are close contacts – and the source of infection for 126 cases is under investigation.

Eighty-one cases were in isolation throughout their infectious period and 22 cases were in isolation for part of their infectious period. Sixty-six cases were infectious in the community, and the isolation status of 70 cases remains under investigation.

The numbers came from 110,962 tests.

NSW Health said it had been notified a woman in her 90s from southwest Sydney died on Wednesday morning at Liverpool Hospital. A man in his 80s from southwest Sydney also died yesterday afternoon at Royal North Shore Hospital.

These are the 12th and 13th COVID-19 related deaths during the current outbreak.

“At this level of cases, we are going to continue to see further deaths,” Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said on Thursday.

Of the 239 locally acquired cases reported to 8pm last night, 104 are from south-western Sydney, 58 are from western Sydney, 51 are from central Sydney, 14 are from south-eastern Sydney LHD and five are from Nepean Blue Mountains.

There are currently 182 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 54 people in intensive care, 22 of whom require ventilation.

“Many of the cases are young,” Dr Chant said, with two in their teens, eight in their 20s, four in their 30s and three in their 40s. 

“It’s not only an old person’s disease. So everyone should discuss vaccination. My message is get vaccinated.”

Dr Chant said many elderly people in the community remained unprotected, with 25 per cent of Australians over 70 yet to receive their first dose, according to Commonwealth data.

NSW Health administered 24,706 COVID-19 vaccines in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, including 7,756 at the vaccination centre at Sydney Olympic Park.

The news comes a day after the state reported a raft of new rules and confirmed stay-at home orders for Greater Sydney – including the Central Coast, the Blue Mountains, Wollongong and Shellharbour – will remain in place until 28 August.

The extension will see the lockdown through to nine weeks after the city first entered the severe restrictions.

More to come.

 Source link

Back to top button
SoundCloud To Mp3