Australia

Economic recovery plan expected as NSW records 372 new local COVID-19 cases

About 92.5 per cent of NSW residents aged 16 and over have had one vaccine dose and 82.3 per cent are fully vaccinated.

Meanwhile, Treasurer Matt Kean is preparing to unveil more support for businesses ravaged by the lockdown with an economic recovery plan.

The government on Wednesday announced a $530 million financial aid plan for the tourism and events sector, after earlier this week outlining a mental health care package.

Included in the funding is a voucher scheme aimed at boosting domestic tourism, which will see every adult receive a $50 voucher to spend on a hotel in the state.

Called Stay and Rediscover, the scheme builds on the success of the recently expanded Dine and Discover program and is part of a broader package designed to help the state’s tourism industry after months of lockdown.

The package also included a $60 million aviation attraction fund, $150 million to restart major events across the state, a $25 million support fund for music festivals, $50 million to revitalise the Sydney CBD, and funding for business events, cancelled events, and recovery marketing.

Read More

But Premier Dominic Perrottet teased in parliament that more announcements would come on Thursday.

“The treasurer will be releasing the economic recovery plan tomorrow, which will support businesses to help recover every single one of the 230,000 jobs that have been lost during this most recent outbreak,” he said.

“We are confident that we will do that because it’s exactly what we did last year… by putting people and families and businesses before the budget.”

In fact, Mr Perrottet said the state is already “bouncing back better” which is the name of the plan.

“Data from Freedom Day reveals a tenfold increase in spending across previously shuttered retail and hospitality sectors,” he said.

Some $12.8 million was spent in the state’s restaurants, pubs and bars, up from $1 million the previous Monday, and retail spending lifted from $35 million to $100 million, and a further $4 million was spent on accommodation.

“Haircuts are going through the roof – $5 million was splurged on state hairdressers and barbers in one week,” added Mr Perrottet, whose first port of call after lockdown lifted was a barber.



 Source link

Back to top button
SoundCloud To Mp3