Christian Porter’s rape accuser sought a NSW police interview over Skype two months before she died

The woman who made a historical rape allegation against cabinet minister Christian Porter asked for a Skype interview with police months before she took her own life.

In answers provided to NSW Parliament, it has been revealed the woman approached the NSW Police Force on 1 April 2021 and asked if she could provide a formal statement through Skype.

Police then spoke with the woman, who was living in Adelaide, by teleconference.

Police were unable to travel to South Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions at the time.

“Options were presented to the victim in relation to obtaining her statement,” a police statement to NSW Parliament reads.

“A joint decision by all parties was made not to conduct the interview remotely. There were a number of reasons which led to this decision. The victim was understanding and supportive of this decision.”

The woman took her own life on 24 June 2020, a day after she contacted police saying she could not proceed with the complaint.

Mr Porter has strenuously denied the historical rape allegation and has issued defamation proceedings against the ABC in relation to allegations it published.

It has also been revealed a friend of the alleged victim has provided a formal statement to police, despite the force insisting the investigation remains closed.

James Hooke, an ex-boyfriend of the woman, issued a media statement last month saying he had multiple “relevant discussions” with both Mr Porter and the woman over a number of years and had been prepared to testify under oath at any inquiry.

No inquiry into the matter has been announced.

Mr Hooke, who is now senior managing director with Macquarie Group, provided the formal statement to police on 17 and 22 March 2021.

“This statement provided by Mr Hooke does not change the position of the NSW Police Force,” an answer provided to the NSW Parliament reads.

“The investigation remains closed.”

The parliamentary responses said the alleged victim in June 2020 clearly communicated that she didn’t feel able to proceed with the complaint, and “in investigations of this nature it is important that investigators listen to and respect the wishes of the victim”.

“The last communication had by investigators with the victim was that she no longer felt able to proceed with the report.

“Investigators will continue to respect this request.”

Mr Porter was replaced as attorney-general and industrial relations minister in a cabinet reshuffle last month. He remains in the Morrison government cabinet as the industry, science and technology minister.

Additional reporting by Jodie Stephens.

If you or someone you know is impacted by family and domestic violence or sexual assault, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit In an emergency, call 000.

Readers seeking support with mental health can contact Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636. More information is available at Multicultural Mental Health supports people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.

 Source link

Back to top button
SoundCloud To Mp3